baked sweet potato fries can be tough to turn out… sometimes they come out soggy or undercooked, and on the flip side, they can burn quickly with high temperatures. i have tried a bunch of different methods, and i’ve recently found that the trick is in adding a little starch to help the potatoes crisp!
a starch that is used frequently in paleo baking and cooking is tapioca starch. it’s a grain-free alternative to corn starch, and it’s the trick to making baked sweet potato fries that get crispy on the outside and are fully cooked on the inside. because let’s be honest, who wants a soggy french fry that flops over when you pick it up? just no.
making these fries couldn’t be easier or require less ingredients and effort. literally all you have to do is chop the potato, coat it in olive oil, tapioca, and s&p, and put it in the oven for 40ish minutes. then you are DONE.
depending on how many fries you wanna end up with, use 1 or more sweet potatoes. first step (ALWAYS) in cooking with a sweet potato is giving it a solid scrub under water… these came from the ground and are covered in nasty ish. then, use a good knife to cut into fry shapes, obviously, and throw in a bowl. toss the sweet potato strips with olive oil, about 1-2 tsp tapioca starch, salt and pepper, and maybe some garlic powder. spread them into an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, & bake on 425F for 40ish minutes. keep your eye on them to watch for crispy edges, and save them before they get burnt!
eat right away [after cooling] with your fave dipping sauce or keep in the fridge for up to ~ 5 days. reheat in the oven or broiler to maintain crispiness. devour!!
– 1 to 3 large sweet potatoes
– 1-2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 to 2 tsp tapioca starch, to coat
– garlic powder, to sprinkle
– salt & pepper, to sprinkle
HOW TO MAKE >>
- set oven to 425F
- using a good knife, cut the sweet potato(es) into strips
- place potato strips in a mixing bowl. toss with olive oil, to coat.
- add in tapioca starch, garlic powder, salt & pepper to potatoes, and toss to evenly coat.
- place pre- fries in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, allowing each one to have it’s own space.
- bake on 425F for 40ish minutes.
- keep your eye on them to watch for crispy edges, & save them before they get burnt!
- enjoy with your fave dipping sauce, or save in the fridge for up to ~ 5 days!
- ( to reheat later, use broiler or high temp baking to maintain crispiness )