can you get more springy than a lemon poppyseed muffin?! i simply do not think so. a light, fluffy, lemony yellow muffin, eaten as part of a breakfast, snack, or dessert, you just can’t go wrong!! my new lemon poppyseed muffins are grain-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free, aka PALEO + delish!!
it only took 2 batches of testing to make these the absolute perfect density & combination of light, fluffy, moist, slightly chewy, like your favorite lemon poppy muffin! one of the main things that i want to emphasize for this recipe is the amount of lemon juice + zest!! after all, they are LEMON muffins, so it’s honestly pretty imperative that you use freshly zested + squeezed lemon juice. you’ll likely need 3-4 lemons for both of those things, & you can use the juice of the lemons afer you zest them, so no lemon goes wasted!
to start, use a grater or zester to zest the outsides of the lemons before you cut into them to juice. this way, you can be sure to get all of the zest & you don’t have juice and lemon seeds goin everywhere! once you have 2 tbsp zested, go ahead & juice the lemons into the same mixing bowl.
from there, you can add the rest of your wet ingredients. use a mixer to combine into a smooth, yellow mixture of all the wet ingredients. in a separate bowl, combine the flour + baking soda. once the wet and dry are mixed separately, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient mixture, mixing in between each addition. once the dry ingredients have been incorporated into the wet, go for the final touch, the poppyseeds!! use a spoon or spatula to get them mixed through without crushing them.
when all the ingredients have been mixed, drop 1-2 tbsp of batter into each muffin cup [i do 1 tbsp for mini muffin pan, 2 tbsp for standard-sized muffin pan]. either use baking liners or spray the pan before dropping batter in!
bake on 350 for ~18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean; you’ll also see the sides start to turn a golden brown, + at that point, they are done! allow them to cool completely before pulling out of the pan or peeling off a muffin liner, that way they won’t stick!
HAPPY SPRING & ENJOY THESE MUFFINS!!
› 3 eggs
› 1/2 cup lemon juice [about 4 lemons]
› zest of 2 large lemons [about 2 lemons]
› 1/4 cup coconut oil
› 1/4 cup honey
› 1 tsp vanilla extract
› 2 cups almond flour
› 1/3 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
› 1 tsp baking soda
› 2 tbsp poppyseeds
HOW TO MAKE »
- set oven to 350F.
- zest lemons, then juice them.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, melted coconut oil, honey, + vanilla extract.
- in a separate bowl, mix almond flour, arrowroot OR tapioca starch, + baking soda.
- to the wet mixture, add the flour mixture in ~3 separate sections, mixing between each addition.
- once all the ingredients are well incorporated with one another, add poppyseeds. stir with spatula or spoon.
- drop batter into lined or greased muffin cups; ~2 tbsp batter into each cup of a regular-sized muffin pan or 1 tbsp batter for mini muffins!
- bake on 350F for ~18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- allow to cool completely before removing from pan; ENJOY!