soooo i adapted this recipe from a pumpkin spice cake recipe i made last year around thanksgiving from instagram. i remember the cake being unreal and everyone was so shocked at how GOOD it was. this recipe can be made into donuts like i did last night, because i had my donut pans back; or, it can be made into cupcakes or cake just as well!
i used coconut sugar as the sweetener and kept it unrefined, and any gluten-free flour mixture will do. obviously if you don’t care for it to be gluten-full, you can just use regular baking/allpurpose flour! regarding the dairy free frosting, of course you can use normal cream cheese and make a normal cc frosting; or, to keep it dairy free, use kite hill almond based cream cheese + miyokos cashew-based butter, TASTES SO GOOD EITHER WAY.
-1 cup coconut sugar
-1 cup trade joe’s canned pumpkin (it’s special)
-1/2 cup coconut oil
-2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
-1 cup gluten free baking flour
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-3 oz kite hill df cream cheese
-1/4 cup miyokos df butter
-1 cup organic powdered sugar
-juice of 1/4 lemon
HOW TO MAKE >>
- Set oven to 350F
- mix pumpkin, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, eggs together until fully combined.
- separately, combine gf flour with cinnamon & nutmeg, baking powder & baking soda.
- incorporate the dry mixture into the wet mixture in sections, mixing until fully combined.
- in a greased donut pan (or square cake pan or muffin pan), pour batter until each section approx 2/3-3/4 full. batter will fluff up into full donuts!
- bake for 12-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- while baking, cream all frosting ingredients together using mixer until whipped and frosting-like 😉
- once donuts/cake/cupcakes have cooled, frost each one with df cc frosting. sprinkle with cinnamon on top before eating!
- store in fridge up to 1 week!