my KALE BASIL PESTO is not only paleo but has such vibrant pesto flavor. this pesto is so easy to make in the food processor; it comes together just like that & it’s bursting with the perfect combination of flavors ~ basil, garlic, lemon, pine nuts. the nutritional yeast provides a salty flavor that reflects the usual parmesan flavor in most traditional pesto! it’s the perfect addition here.
honestly, it really doesn’t get much easier than making this pesto. ALL you need to do is place all the ingredients in the food processor, & run it. it blends together and you finish it off with an olive oil drizzle until the pesto is spinning around the sides smoothly.
truly, that’s it! place all your ingredients in the food processor, & hit ON. the pesto will store well in an airtight container for about ~1 week, but always check it before eating if it’s been longer than that!
put this pesto on anything!! spaghetti squash, zucchini or carrot noodles, or my personal favorite, Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi… it’s incredible.
› 1 cup fresh basil, packed
› 1 cup fresh kale, stalks removed
› 1 tbsp lemon juice or juice of 1/2 lemon
› 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
› 2 tbsp pine nuts
› 3 cloves garlic
› olive oil, to drizzle [about 2-3 tbsp]
HOW TO MAKE »
- place all ingredients [except olive oil] in food processor.
- run food processor until ingredients have been processed + combined.
- stop the food processor and remove lid; scrape the sides down.
- cover the food processor, and while it is running, drizzle olive oil until the mixture is smoothly running around the sides as the processor spins.
- store in airtight container with extra olive oil drizzled on top for ~1 week in refrigerator.