one night i had the idea to make a fried rice [with a cauliflower substitute] after seeing a simple video of making a panfried rice with just soy sauce. i wanted to adapt it to use the ingredients that i use regularly, so i figured i’d just be testing it out… turns out, the flavor came THROUGH & it was truly spot on, delish, and a perfect substitute, so it stays ! my chicken fried [cauliflower] rice is perfect for a quick & easy weeknight dinner, to make ahead & take for lunch at work, or really any meal at any time. it takes no longer than ~15minutes MAX to get it from fridge to bowl, & the flavor packs a punch in the best way!
the main contents of the dish ~ yes, riced cauliflower — you can use frozen or fresh. i usually rice my cauliflower in a chopper or cuisinart, but they sell it riced + bagged, & it’s just the same.
the vegetables i added to this cauliflower rice dish were shredded carrots, chopped yellow bell peppers, chopped snow peas, white onion, + green onion [in dish and for garnish]. i threw a scrambled egg in there at the end, too, cause every good fried rice has some of that hidden in there;)
the sauce is truly so simple — coconut aminos + fish sauce. for flavor, add grated ginger + minced garlic; you can also use the powdered versions of both — ground ginger + garlic powder. the flavors still come through! i always like a kick of spice too, so i added chili pepper flakes.
i top it off by adding pre-cooked chicken [from meal prep!] in the pan, sauteeing it all together. the final garnish is a bit of green onion + red pepper flakes, & you’re ready to go!
none of the ingredients on their own [any of the vegetables: the cauli rice, the carrots, bell peppers, snap peas, onions] take more than 4-5 minutes to soften in the pan, so once you have gathered all your ingredients + chopped your vegetables, it all gets finished off in the pan!
the order that i add things to the pan goes ~ onion+carrots+bellpeppers+snap peas, then add riced cauliflower, ginger + garlic + red pepper flakes; then scramble the egg on the side of the pan. mix all together once egg is cooked through; then add your chicken to the pan to heat up & incorporate. once everything is softened & basically done, drizzle in your coconut aminos and a splash of fish sauce. garnish with green onion + enjoy!
› 1 cup riced cauliflower
› handful of shredded carrots
› 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced + diced
› handful of snow peas, chopped
› 1/4 white onion, chopped
› 1/3 cup grilled or rotisserie chicken [cooked]
› 1 egg
› 1-2 tbsp coconut aminos
› splash of fish sauce, < 1/2 tsp
› grated ginger, to taste
› minced garlic, to taste [~1 clove]
› 1-2 green onion stalks, chopped
› pinch red pepper flakes
HOW TO MAKE »
- prep step: chop vegetables, cook chicken, rice cauliflower, grate ginger, mince garlic.
- heat pan + drizzle with olive oil.
- add to the pan: white onion, shredded carrots, bell peppers, + snap peas. saute for ~3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- add riced cauliflower to pan, combine + cook until color begins to brown + rice begins to soften. also add ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, + some green onion now to kick up the flavor.
- move all vegetables to the side of the pan, scramble egg on the open side until cooked through; then combine egg with the vegetables.
- add pre-cooked chopped chicken to pan, reheating and incorporating it into the rice.
- drizzle coconut aminos + fish sauce directly into pan, toss to combine + continue sauteeing.
- garnish with additional chopped green onion + red pepper flakes!