ohhhhh my goodness. the lemon blueberry combination. i almost have NO words for the heaven that it is… but i’ll try and give you an idea of how legit incredible this bread is. i first thought of this idea becuase i wanted to make something that has a more vibrant flavor than the typical breads — banana, zucchini, pumpkin. those are all delish in a warm + comforting way, and i wanted this new bread to be brighter & lighter. i seriously chose this flavor combination as my effort to WILL spring into action. enter: LEMON.
i was thinking something like a lemon poundcake, but wanted it to be a bread form with less sweetener than ‘cake’. once i went with that idea, bluberries just popped into mind & i ran with them! it took me a few tries to get this bread right, too. the first round, i used frozen blueberries and not only did they ALL sink to the bottom of the loaf pan in the oven, they dyed the ENTIRE bread green. literally all green/blue. that was a no. on to use fresh blueberries. tried that, which helped, but the flour mixture still wasn’t perfect. the loaf kept coming out ultra dense & spongy, and i learned it was because i was using too much tapioca!! plus, on round 2, which used coconut sugar as sweetener, the bread was so dark & brown it literally looked the color of multigrain bread; which it is not. no grains here. so i switched to the route of a honey-sweetened loaf and it was all uphill from there. so honey it is!! which seems fitting, given that this bread is supposed to have the spring concept… honey fits.
you know what they say: the THIRD TIME’S THE CHARM. and it was!! finally, after testing different combinations, this bread is literally perfect to me. the color is the perfect light yellow, just like a lemon 🙂 the texture is BEYOND fluffy + light, it melts in your mouth when you eat it but holds up amazingly in both loaf and muffin form. make sure you use blanched + fine almond flour to get the fluff factor and pale yellow color !! i am truly so excited to be sharing this LEMON BLUEBERRY LOAF. i’m so proud of it and the flavor is BEYOND anything i’ve ever created. it’s going to be a staple for the spring & summer snack stash for SURE. look at all the caps, can you tell how excited i am?!
okay let’s just get into the baking so i don’t go on and on and on about how perfect this lemon blueberry bread is. ugh. it really is perfect. LET’s START!
to start. prepare for mixing the ingredients by 1. zesting lemons and then 2. juicing them. i use a cheese grater or a hand held zester to get all the zest off the lemons. once they are white and the yellow skin is gone, go ahead & cut them to get the juice [it’s hard to zest them once you’ve cut them]. into a large mixing bowl, drop eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla + almond extracts. in a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients – the blanched fine almond flour, arrowroot or tapioca starch, baking soda, & salt. as for the blueberries, leave those alone for now; they go in LAST, right before baking!
mix the wet ingredients with mixer until well combined. to this mixture, add the flour mixture in ~3 separate sections, mixing between each addition. once all the ingredients are well incorporated with one another, you can add the blueberries. here, make SURE that you are using fresh blueberries! [frozen ones tend to be heavier, sink, and turn the bread blue and green — you likely won’t get the same result]. when adding the blueberries, you want to fold them into the batter with a spatula; don’t use the mixer! you might mash them. once the blueberries have been folded in, batter is ready for the oven!
i made this recipe in 2 small sized loaf pans [as opposed to 1 large one] and they baked really well in there! lined the pans with parchment paper + oiled them so the bread came out easily!
now RUN DON’T WALK to make this lemon blueberry loaf. i mean it!!
› 4 eggs
› 1/3 cup lemon juice [about 3-4 lemons]
› zest of 2 large lemons [about 2 tbsp]
› 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
› 1/4 cup honey
› 1 tsp vanilla extract
› 1/2 tsp almond extract
› 2 cups blanched [fine] almond flour
› 1/3 cup arrowroot/tapioca starch
› 1 tsp baking soda
› 1/4 tsp salt
› 1 cup fresh blueberries
HOW TO MAKE »
- set oven to 350F.
- zest lemons, then juice them.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla + almond extracts.
- in a separate bowl, mix almond flour, arrowroot OR tapioca starch, baking soda, & salt.
- to the wet mixture, add the flour mixture in ~3 separate sections, mixing between each addition.
- once all the ingredients are well incorporated with one another, add blueberries. here, make SURE that you are using fresh blueberries!* [when adding the blueberries, you want to fold them into the batter with a spatula; don’t use the mixer!]
- once the blueberries have been folded in, batter is ready for the oven!
- bake on 350F for ~40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- if you make one large loaf — the baking time will be longer, around ~55min-1 hour. test it every few minutes to be sure to cook it through but not to overcook it!
- if you are making this into muffins — the baking time will be shorter, try ~16-18 minutes to start [depending on muffin size] & test ever few minutes after to be sure it bakes fully but not too much!
* [frozen blueberries tend to be heavier, sink, and turn the bread blue and green — you likely won’t get the same result].