since i’ve found this new yogurt that i am obsessed with [it’s dairy free – cashew milk based – no added sugars, & packed with probiotics. what more could you ask for when you just really miss parfaits but still want to eat real food with clean ingredients] … GRANOLA!!! except that one major thing with granola is that usually the base is oats which are a grain; which is not something involved in eating paleo. UNTIL now. my new coconut maple almond granola is GRAIN FREE + you might not even guess it! it’s crunchy, nutty, clustery, & slightly sweet. you see it, you like it, you want it? YOU GOT IT.
going around the grains was really the only thing i had to do to create this granola recipe. it’s mainly a combination of different nuts, plus shredded unsweetened coconut, flax seed meal for bining + texture, then water, melted coconut oil, vanilla and almond extracts, & slightly sweetened with maple syrup. one surprise in the mixture is egg white protein powder. since we don’t have grains / oats here, i wanted to throw in some extra nutrition. the nuts are protein and fiber full, but what’s it to add some more clean protein powder!
really all you have to do is roughly chop the nuts involved [or whichever nuts you choose to use]. once you have them ready, it’s just a matter of mixing everything together + baking it! this granola bakes as one big piece, and then partially through the baking time, i take it out, let it cool slightly, and crumble it into the pieces of the size i wanted — i did some small crumbles for topping into my yogurt parfaits, + i did some larger pieces for dipping in yogurt and/or a nut butter. what you’ll see in these pics are the bigger pieces.
this granola truly is granola — the crunch is THERE. the flavor is THERE. the purpose is completely granola, therefore, it is granola 🙂
make it ahead & save it in a container in the fridge or freezer for ~2 weeks [longer in freezer]. will be so perfect for breakfasts + snacks!!
› 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
› 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
› 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, chopped
› 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
› 1 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
› 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
› 1/4 egg white protein powder
› 1/4 cup maple syrup
› 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
› 3 tbsp water
› 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
› 1/2 tsp almond extract
› coconut sugar, to sprinkle
HOW TO MAKE »
- set oven to 350F.
- roughly chop almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, walnuts.
- place the following in a bowl: almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut, flaxseed meal, egg white protein powder.
- melt coconut oil, & combine with maple syrup, water, vanilla + almond extracts.
- in a parchment-lined pan, pour the mixture & push into pan; so when it cooks, it cooks together!
- place in oven for 15 min on 350F, then turn pan. bake for 15 more min, then remove from oven.
- allow to cool for a few minutes, until its warm but cooled enough to handle. break apart into pieces, flip + toss.
- place back into oven for 10 min to allow it to get crunchy!
- [ baking goes like this ~ 15 min, rotate, 15 min, cool + break up, 10 min, done!]
- once it comes out of the oven, sprinkle coconut sugar right on top while it’s hot! some of it will stick to the granola & give some extra sweetness.
- store in container in fridge for ~2 weeks if it lasts that long!