if you were looking for the most classic chocolate chip cookie made paleo, you’ve found them. there’s a science to making cookie dough, where you first cream the ‘butter’ or [sub] with the sugar, then add the other wet ingredients [egg, vanilla], before combining with the mixed dry ingredients. let’s not forget the important last step, the stirring of the chocolate chips into the batter. YES.
for the most part, the cookie dough is self explanatory. i played with the ingredients and found a combination that works — it uses some nut butter, but not so significant an amount that it takes over the flavor of the cookie.
one thing that is tricky in paleo baking is the flour that you use. different flours give different results in texture of the baked item, & they don’t act like regular white flour does. in paleo baking, it does not always rise on it’s own in the oven, nor does it always bind together completely appropriately. the mixture that i used in these cookies is of 3 components — almond flour, tapioca starch, and coconut flour. the combination helps to make the dough/cookie not TOO dense, but not flaky & falling apart either. i sifted together the following: 1 cup of almond flour, 2/3 cup tapioca starch, & 1/3 cup coconut flour. this makes 2 cups of the paleo flour mixture; i used 1 cup for a batch of cookies, & saved the 1 cup in a container for another use!
when i was making these the first few times, i could tell they were going to be so perfect by my taste of the batter. i mean, who doesn’t try the batter? throwback to my childhood when my mom made cookies and gave us each a beater to lick the batter. best part of baking.
i’m going to stop here & give you the recipe now so you can make these ASAP!!
› 1/4 cup SunButter *
› 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted
› 3/4 cup coconut sugar
› 1 egg
› 1 tsp vanilla extract
› 1 cup paleo flour mixture [you will need almond flour, tapioca starch, & coconut flour – makes 2 cups]
› 1/2 tsp baking soda
› 1 cup chocolate chips **
HOW TO MAKE »
- set oven to 375F.
- prepare your flour. sift together 1 cup almond flour, 2/3 cup tapioca starch, & 1/3 cup coconut flour into a bowl. this will make 2 cups of the flour, & here you will use 1 cup. set aside the 1 cup and store the rest for baking later!
- cream coconut sugar with coconut oil & sun butter [using a mixer].
- add egg & vanilla extract & mix.
- separately, mix 1 cup flour with 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 3 sections to allow smooth incorporation.
- once mixed, stir in chocolate chips with spoon or spatula.
- refrigerate the dough for ~30 min [up to hours, if keeping in fridge until baking another day] to allow it to firm up so you can roll & ball it in your hands without being too sticky.
- to bake ~ set on cookie sheet with enough space for each cookie [dough will expand a bit in the oven] & bake for 10-12 min on 375F.
- let cool then eat or store for the week!
*note: for some reason, sometimes SunButter turns the baked goods green once they are cooked and cooled. the inside of some of my cookies turned green [i tested them on my friends and they were alarmed — apologies to @cristina 😉 ] but it is harmless! sometimes it doesn’t turn color, but be warned!
**note: i use EnjoyLife dark chocolate chips! they have no dairy and have minimal sugar added, & they still get nice & melty without becoming chocolate sauce lol