so this dinner bowl came out of left field in my mind but was immediately right. i love a good dinner where all the contents are in one bowl – where you can get a taste of everythang in one bite. this gives me that.
it’s kind of like a hot salad, which there is no word for, but it is what it is. the base of my bowl is always sauteed kale (with olive oil + S&P). i build it up from there. i’ll saute some bell peppers [yellow are my fave] with white onion, and then add those on top of the kale. i add some roasted sweet potatoes [recipe here] as another topping for the bowl, for density.
the star of this show is the italian sausage. normally, ital sausage is used in things like pasta, sandwiches, big italian dishes. i use it as the protein here because it is so tasty in such a simple bowl. i cook it in the oven [on 400F for ~20 minutes], so it’s almost done, but not all the way. slice it into little rounds, and maybe in half if you want smaller pieces. i’ll saute it in the pan with the peppers right before i put it all in the bowl.
other things involved in my bowl: hot sauce (always: frank’s or cholula) and an egg sunny-side-up or over-easy. the egg [not pictured, but essential] with a loose yolk helps make a sauce when added with the hot sauce, so it just dresses the whole bowl ! YUM!
i’ve also used roasted brussels sprouts as an addition to the bowl. really any roasted veg works here. oh, and topping it with avocado is never a bad idea lol.
to the recipe!
› olive oil
› 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper
› 1/4 white onion
› italian sausage, cooked
› hot sauce – frank’s or cholula
› egg, optional
› avocado, optional
how to make »
- you’ll want to cook ahead the italian sausage and roasted sweet potatoes. i usually have these in the fridge to grab and reheat.
- first, saute the kale in olive oil and S&P, until it becomes wilted and dark green. then remove it from the pan, and layer it in the bottom of your bowl.
- second, saute the peppers and onions for a few minutes, or until they are softened, beginning to brown, or however you best like them. once ready, layer those on top of the kale.
- add the roasted sweet potatoes + [cooked] italian sausage to your bowl.
- prepare your egg to your liking, if using.
- place the egg on top of the vegetable layers, & drizzle with hot sauce!
- top with avocado, if using.
- EAT IT UP