this salad is everything. IMO, it’s great for lunch or dinner. i’ve been eating it for over a year several times each week, and i am still not bored of it.
i make the dressing each week and keep it in the fridge for about a week, or until i use it up. i use the juice of a lemon, the juice of an orange, olive oil, and some other additions. i make sure i have a solid kale base, and then i top it with the following: roasted (or shredded raw) brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds, chopped dates (or raisins), sliced apples, & grilled chicken — and sometimes avocado.
i’d make it ahead and take it to go for lunch at class or the hospital, and it’s just as good as at home.
here ya go!
for the citrus vinaigrette dressing:
›1 shallot, chopped
› 1 lemon, juiced
› 1 orange, juiced
› 1 tsp italian seasoning
› S & P
› 1/2 cup olive oil
for the salad:
› 1-2 cups shredded kale
› small honeycrisp or pink lady apple
› 1 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
› 2 medjool dates, chopped; sub raisins (brown or golden)
› brussels sprouts, raw or roasted
HOW TO MAKE:
- make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients; use a jar or salad dressing bottle to store in the fridge.
- shred kale from stalks, and toss in the citrus vinaigrette.
- sprinkle sunflower seeds and chopped dates (or raisins) on kale.
- place apples, roasted or raw brussels sprouts, grilled chicken, & avocado on top.
- IF taking it for lunch (packing ahead), keep apple slices separate and coated in lemon juice to keep from turning brown. add to salad right before eating!